Travelling Butler – House Manager
A “Travelling Butler and House Manager” is sought for our international client, to start ASAP
Based in Italy, The Travelling Butler and House Manager will be responsible for the day-to-day stewardship and provision of service in the households, providing strong leadership and “hands-on” support to fellow staff to ensure that the residences are always maintained and administered to exceptional standards.
The primary objectives of The Travelling Butler and House Manager is to ensure the comfort of The Principals, their family members, and guests, as well as provide proper coordination with the Chef, the day and evening staff, housekeeping, and sub-contractors, as well as making all arrangements for functions and events, while offering advice on potential improvements and maintenance projects.
You will be required to ensure that all the properties under your supervision are maintained and operated to a standard expected of The Principals. You will manage the day-to-day operations of the households including the aesthetic presentation of the interior and exterior. You will plan and assist in all service aspects required by The Principals and their family members while you will assist with the planning and coordination of “special events”.
You will be responsible for all domestic employees that work within your assigned portfolio and will be required to liaise with them to ensure tasks are carried out fluidly and effectively. This may include, housekeeping and maintenance staff, drivers as well as specialist contractors. In conjunction with existing management you will provide training to the staff either in-house or by hiring external professional training services. You will be required to communicate with all personnel to ensure a clear understanding of their work requirements and daily tasks. You will be responsible for staff morale, productivity and efficiency.
The Travelling Butler and House Manager is expected to lead the on-site team on a daily basis, in a ‘hands-on” capacity, and to ensure that staff are adequately supported and informed. This individual is expected to always maintain the highest levels of discretion and will be needed to work cooperatively with existing Management, as well as The Principals EA’s who often accompany The Principals when they travel.
- Hold a valid driving licence
- Have the legal right to live and work in Europe
Salary: Excellent Salary & Benefits / D.O.E
Italy (Puglia) & Europe
“Travelling Butler and Housekeeping Manager”
TYPE OF HOUSEHOLD
Professional / Philanthropist, Rural Location, Travelling
Multi Lingual with English
PREFER NON SMOKER
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Travelling Butler and House Manager is expected to actively plan and assist in all service required by The Principals, to include:
- Oversee catering services, work with the Chef(s) and front of house team to create a seamless and timely service for all meals and guests, leading food service for all meals.
- Setting the table for breakfast, lunch & dinner.
- Greeting of all guests and visitors.
- Perform front of house service as needed for breakfast, lunch and dinner (in particular when entertaining) and assisting the chef in the kitchen
- Assist with the planning, coordination and execution of special events (Including: dinner/cocktail parties), a proven sense of style and the aesthetic will be required for these occasions.
- Manage and overview for all household services and deliveries, such as flower arranging and installation, food deliveries, alcohol and wine stock and food supplies and dry cleaning.
- Work closely with the Principals EA with a view to cover for days off during high season.
- Possess a thorough understanding of the household systems such as; phone systems, Audio & AV, iPod docks, Apple TV / Apple music, speakers/sound system and Wi-Fi throughout the residence.
- Overview of the efficient and effective operation of climate control throughout the residences and managing the pool temperature.
- Ensuring adequate utilities are provided.
- Arranging: entertainment; chauffeuring; shopping and other services if and as requested.
The Travelling Butler and House Manager is to manage and work with the Housekeeping Team whose key responsibilities are:
- Ensuring that all housekeeping services are at the required standard (e.g. laundry; ironing; cleaning; morning guest room service; evening guest room service)
- Cleaning the house on a daily basis including: Vacuuming, dusting, polishing silver, cleaning brass, cleaning furniture, upholstery, care of art and antiques, care of ceramics, cleaning crystal, cleaning windows, care of carpets, cleaning fireplaces, doors, architrave & skirting boards, mopping & waxing floors, moving & arranging furniture and turning mattresses.
- Complete the morning service, which includes; making beds, ironing beds, opening curtains, removing clothing, checking & cleaning ensuite bathrooms, and checking bottled water stock.
- Complete the night service: turning down beds, checking pillows, preparing hot water bottles, closing curtains, cleaning ensuite bathrooms, and preparing medication
- Laundry and ironing including care of fine clothing, linens, bedding, tablecloths, towels and repairs to clothing as required. An essential part of the role is the laundering of the Principal’s clothes and having confidence with the washing and pressing of all delicate fabrics.
- Cleaning the kitchen, washing glasses, china, cutlery, and cooking utensils
- Floral arranging and landscaping.
- Purchasing household supplies to maintain proper stock levels.
- Packing and unpacking of clothing, accessories and jewelry for The Principals
- Collation and checking of photographic inventories of the items being received and sent.
- Maintenance of photographic household and clothing inventories, to include: room set-up, linens, table cloths, crockery, glassware, ceramics and silver.
Required Skills, Attributes & Experience
- A real ‘Hands on Attitude’ gathered in a family orientated work environment
- Children Friendly
- Pet Friendly (there are 4 dogs at the estate in Italy)
- The ability to work to tight deadlines whilst multitasking and prioritize the workload.
- Highly flexible in nature.
- Must be discreet, able to handle confidential information.
- Reliable, honest and with an open nature.
- Attention to detail must be prerequisite.
- Good communication skills.
- Able and happy to lead Front-of-House and Food & Beverage Service duties.
- Patience, tact and a ready sense of humour.
- An easy-going personality with a willingness to support and learn.
- An excellent work track record is essential.
- A good working knowledge of Windows with Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint.
- Willing to work out-of-hours.
- Knowledge of etiquette and correct form of address.
- Holding a valid Driving License (a safe driver is also important)
- Possessing the legal right to work in Italy and travel in Europe